How much do people need to be told in documentation?

Subject: How much do people need to be told in documentation?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:45:56 -0400

John Posada wonders: <<How much do people need to be told in
documentation.>>

Much less than they used to. When was the last time any of us wrote "Here's
how to use Windows"?

<<Do you really think... that we need to use a full paragraph explaining to
them what an email address looks like?>>

No more than we need to explain to them how to spell English names. Anyone
who's entering an e-mail address must spell it correctly: if they do, then
they don't need instructions about what the address looks like, but if they
don't, then it really doesn't matter how many pages of instructions we give
them. What would be important in this case is to document any exceptions
(e.g., "our software can't handle e-mail addresses longer than 12
characters") and perhaps include appropriate cautions (e.g., "double-check
your address; if it's wrong, we'll have no way to respond to your query").

<<The other issue ivolves something as simple as copy and paste. In the
document, I explain one way CTRL-C and CTRL-V. He insists that everywhere I
use the instruction to copy or paste, that I also include the alternate of
Edit-Copy and Edit-Paste. I eally don't care which one...>>

The standard rule of thumb for such things is emphasize only one way to do
things in the text, but provide a list of shortcuts and alternatives
somewhere (typically in an appendix or a separate topic in the online help).
In my documentation, I present only the menu commands as the primary means
for performing various tasks, on the logic that this way _anyone_ can get
the task done; experts will quickly figure out the shortcuts (ideally, all
are listed beside the menu choices) or will look them up in an appendix. If
we provide only the keyboard commands, then people (and there are many) who
can't remember keyboard shortcuts and who prefer to use the mouse will be
working at a severe disadvantage. I'd make an exception here for an audience
comprising primarily power users, who may prefer the keyboard shortcuts.
Even then, I'd still suggest presenting the menu route as the primary means
of accomplishing a goal, with the keyboard shortcuts presented in the margin
or perhaps on a quick-reference card.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"How are SF writers like technical writers? Well, we both write about the
things we imagine will happen in the future!"--Sue Gallagher