RE: Numbered headings

Subject: RE: Numbered headings
From: "Beilby, Margaret" <MBeilby -at- ebuilt -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:15:14 -0700

Hi,

You wrote:
<But almost all the manuals I have seen do not use numbered
<heading styles at all. I find it confusing. Is it the standard way of doing
<it?

Our standard is to used numbered headings/sections for technical manuals
(programming, guides, system administration guides, etc.) and unnumbered
headings for end-user guides.

There are a couple of reasons for using numbered headings in the technical
manuals.

1. Many technical people are used to this format and really prefer it.
However, I always try to consult with our clients' technical users for
guidance. For the most part they prefer numbering because it's easier to
refer to the sections in the document.

2. The other reason is that many technical people are also non-native
speakers of English. The numbered headings give them an additional "road
sign" and makes it easier for them to use the documents.

Thanks,

Margaret Beilby
Sr. Technical Writer
eBuilt, Inc.