RE: Advice, please

Subject: RE: Advice, please
From: "Douglas S. Bailey (AL)" <dbailey -at- commandalkon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:46:23 -0500

> My question is this: how much time and effort should I put
> into trying to
> get her to improve her work? My boss thinks she is dead weight and I
> shouldn't have to put so much time into editing (which is
> true.) But I want
> to give her every opportunity to improve and conform before I
> fire her (yes,

If you have training resources to make available to her, do so. But in any
case, tell her that her job is on the line: give her a performance review
(it's only fair and (IMO) it's her right) saying that her work is
substandard and unacceptable. She has to bring it up to standards or she
must be let go.

After you do this, if she fails to improve enough, you have a right to fire
her and sleep well at night.

--Doug