Re: Techwriters of the World: Unite!

Subject: Re: Techwriters of the World: Unite!
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:55:39 -0700

CC wrote:

> Lower pay rates may be a result of a demographic
> change in the field. In at least 3 other professions,
> both pay and prestige dropped sharply when women moved
> into the jobs and men moved out. In at least one of
> these cases, the women did the job measurably better
> than the men. Nevertheless, the pay rate dropped.

I doubt that a change of gender is responsible. For one thing, I know of no
evidence that it's happening. For another, women have been heavily represented
in tech-writing for a number of years, and the differences in salaries in many
areas is within the range of statistical error - in other words, men and women
have often been paid virtually the same in tech-writing. In areas where
differences existed, it was one of the lowest gender differences for any field.

Maybe it's more to the point to ask what salaries in related fields are like
these days. For example, are developers getting paid less, too?