"content" vs "tools" - help!

Subject: "content" vs "tools" - help!
From: "Jim Lowry" <lowry_j -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:39:50 -0400

Hello there,

I was hoping that I might persuade you techwhirler types to further weigh in on the ?content? vs. ?tools? discussion, in regards to what makes for the best kind of value-adding technical writer.

After years of being a slacker on the professional development front, I?ve decided I want to go the ?format education? route and am going to take an intensive, 3-month ?certificate? program at one of the big universities in New York. My wife and I have been thinking about relocating to the country (even before last week!) and I want to be as employable as possible, even entertaining the possibility of doing some telecommuting. My current ?skill set:? Frame, WORD, Visio, HTML, WebWorks, UNIX shell. (I?m more of a ?tools? sort, vs. a ?content? kind a guy, a la Andrew Plato.)

Specifically, I wanted to find out from you folks which of the two certificate programs I describe below would make the most sense for a technical writer who?s heading off to a less industry-saturated area and who entertains ?high hopes? about telecommuting:

1.) A hands-on Windows 2000 systems administration course, in which one learns the ins and outs of installing the OS, and also how to configure and troubleshoot aspects such as Active Directory, DNS, IP Routing, RAS, etc.

(Considerations: I know it?s just one particular technology, but I?ve noticed that at least in the New York area, a number of companies are asking for this kind of expertise in their tech writer job advertisements. Win2000 obviously is not the only OS animal out there nor by any means is system admin. the only game in town for tech. writers, but I?m wondering if this kind of solid, if not terribly exciting, expertise might put me in good stead out in the ?sticks.?)

2.) A course on creating dynamic web sites, the content of which is database-driven. Technologies used: ASP, XML, SQL, Perl, and javascript.

(Considerations: Seems as if these technologies are definitely ?in? nowadays. But are they just ?tools? and thus not really that germane to what makes for a good, value-adding tech. writer?)

Looking for advice and thanking you in advance.

Jim Lowry
Queens, NY

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art:

Previous by Thread: RE: Numbered headings - a humorous, yet incisive, attempt to prov e the value of technical writers and of less numbered headings in nuclear power plant manuals.....