RE: Documentation Types (repost)

Subject: RE: Documentation Types (repost)
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:44:11 +1000

1. The Supplemental?

2. Oh dear, oh me oh my. :-)

Corporate Documentation Hierarchy:
==================================

Standards
Policies
Strategies
Plans
Procedures References
Instructions Records

That's as generic as it gets. A Form is just a blank record, manuals are
collections of these documents ...

Then you get specific by divisional function, some non hierarchical
examples:

Development
-----------

Use Cases, Func Spec, Tech Spec, Bug Reports, Change management records

Product Support
---------------

User Guides
help systems, supplementals (Readme's (containing release notes, EULAs,
addendum, known bugs), reference sheets, rego cards, install text etc),
tutorials,

Documentation
-------------

Style Guides
Registers

Marketing
---------

Handouts, business cards, letterheads, logos, packaging, press releases,
flyers, brochures

Sales
-----

Customer database, financial database

Its an ENORMOUS list, I barely scraped the surface :-)

Steve Hudson
Principal Technical Writer
Wright Technologies (Aus)
steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au
(612) 9518-1822
The best way to predict the future... is to create it!