Re: Strunk and White

Subject: Re: Strunk and White
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 08:32:23 -0400

The word style has a variety of connotations. Certainly Strunk & White is a guide to clear prose style, which may be what your prospect has in mind. It is a style _guide_. Chicago is a style _manual_, laying out in excruciating detail the hows, whys, and wherefores of editorial style--getting squiggly black marks on paper in a way that makes meaning clear and does not distract the reader.

Think of them as, respectively, the functional spec and the design spec for a program that turns out well-written English for publication. They complement each other and sit side by side on my shelf.

From: stefpierre -at- netscape -dot- net (Stephanie Pierre)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:11:15 -0400