RE: Advice, please

Subject: RE: Advice, please
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:41:20 -0500

I would agree with this statement if she *knew* they were her strikes. But I couldn't tell (or can't remember) from the original post if she was really aware of how tenuous her position is, or if she even knew she was on probation (was it a double secret probation?). If her previous manager was taking her work home and rewriting it rather than deal with her, it's entirely possible that no one had the guts to say "OK, this was strike one."

Personally, if I were her manager, I would give her one (and *only* one) more chance. Describe what she was *supposed* to do, find out why she didn't do it (did she not understand? or did she simply choose not to? did you give her what she needed?), and make it clear that if she can't re-do the project according to directions, there isn't going to be another one.

And have I mentioned lately how glad I am that I'm not in management?

~~~~~
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc

>>> <SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com> 09/20/01 01:31PM >>>
I agree with the excellent advice I've read so far, but not with the "three
strikes" idea. It's an obvious metaphor, but if "Betty" is at the point of
being put on probation, then she'd had plenty of "strikes" already.