RE: Description of databases

Subject: RE: Description of databases
From: dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:39:47 -0400

Hi,
Have you investigated Visio's ability to reverse engineer a database? I use
Visio to document our SQL database. I think it's the Professional edition
that includes a wizard which will read the database, find all the tables and
fields, primary keys, foreign keys, indexes, etc. The only caveat is the
massive amount of information. With 1200 tables, you'll still have to pick
and choose which ones you want to include in your drawing and how you want
them laid out -- which can be a daunting task in and of itself.

Good luck!

Dannette Thompson
Technical Writer
Foundation Software, Inc.
The #1 Accounting Software for Labor-Intensive Contractors
The opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect the
opinions or policies of my employer or coworkers.