Re: Tasks vs. Procedures

Subject: Re: Tasks vs. Procedures
From: "Mark Moloney" <mmoloney -at- network365 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:17:25 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ellen Vanrenen" <ellen -dot- vanrenen -at- clear-technology -dot- com>

[...] I am floundering in trying to define policies and procedures docs. I
was told a task differs from a procedure. Does anyone know in what way(s) it
does? I have looked into it and cannot find a difference. [...]
<<<

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on
our own point of view." - Obi Wan Kenobi ("Return of the Jedi")

It's a common choice to make in tech writing, and it depends on who will use
your document and what their aim will be. As I see it*, a "task" is your
defined goal or the object of your endeavours. A "procedure" is a
step-by-step view of how you will get from point A to point B.

Task-based documents generally follow an assessment of what specific jobs a
user will want to use the product for and describe how to do each job. These
documents are organised by the task - that is, by the desired final outcome.

Procedure-based documents generally describe the functionality of the
product and may not take into account the needs of a user. These documents
are often organised in a manner that parallels the organisation of the
product itself.

To my mind, task-based documentation is better for the user, but it may not
always be possible for a tech writer to write it, for example, if it is a
new product for which there is no developed user base, or if the only
feedback for documentation comes from the product's developers**.

/ Mark Moloney

* A classic disclaimer.
** I always try to involve sales / pre-sales engineering in documentation
review - however indirect it may be, it's as close to customers as I can
get.