RE: Description of Databases

Subject: RE: Description of Databases
From: "Jason Deal" <jason -at- mitratech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:38:59 -0700

I, too, am investigating tools to document database schemas, and I have hit
a wall. The problem is that the developers are telling me that they
absolutely need column-to-column relationship indicators to indicate foreign
key/primary key relationships. Visio's Reverse Engineer Wizard does not do
this; it indicates foreign keys and primary keys, but the table relation
arrows go table-to-table, not column-to-column.
I've also tried ERWin (same problem, it seems, though I did not have time to
really play with it to see what it could do) and Access (saved the database
in SQL Server and brought it into Access, it shows column-to-column
relationships, but none of the other nifty stuff that Visio does, like
datatypes, size, and required fields).
Any suggestions?