Re: What Is An "Unusual Resume?"

Subject: Re: What Is An "Unusual Resume?"
From: Amy Hendrix <amych -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:57:55 -0400

At 10:37 AM 9/24/2001 -0700, Tom Murrell wrote:

You need to tailor your approach to your audience. (What a novel concept! I
shoulda thought of this years ago! Focus on the audience and the needs of the
audience.)

What are you, a *writer* or somethin'?

Folks, it's time to get real about resumes and stop acting like there is one
"magic bullet" resume.

Oh, sure there is. The one magic bullet goes like this:

* I am the most perfect person in the universe for this job.

It's just that the people doing the hiring rarely seem to perceive this fact....

As hard as times have gotten lately, I think a lot of people are suddenly getting a lot less response to their resumes than they used to, regardless of the kind of paper they use. And while worrying excessively about the "right" format may be somehow related to reading the entrails of that chicken you just sacrificed, I can certainly sympathize with the anxiety that leads people to that kind of behavior. So go easy. I don't see people here saying that there's One True Resume -- I see them saying that they're frustrated with having their resumes tampered with (a completely legitimate complaint), and that they're concerned enough to be making changes, and that they worry about how to best describe their skills. I'd be more worried if people didn't have those things on their minds, given the way the market is in my area.

Amy Hendrix - Durham, NC
"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor: this is the whole Torah. The rest is commentary." - Rabbi Hillel

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: