Re: FW: What tools to use: Single Sourcing: Robohelp vs. FrameMaker

Subject: Re: FW: What tools to use: Single Sourcing: Robohelp vs. FrameMaker
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:46:24 -0500

If you have a predisposition towards FrameMaker, then consider both the Quadralay WebWorks Publisher, as well as ForeHelp.

ForeHelp is a competitor of RoboHelp and touts an integration or compatibility with FrameMaker.

WebWorks is bundled with FrameMaker, but to get the full use of it you have to purchase at least one copy of the full version. It will convert to HTML, XML, WinHelp, and WinHTML Help. The full version allows you to tailor your templates for conversion.

The links that you place in FrameMaker will translate going through WebWorks. I am not as sure about ForeHelp.

There is also MIF2Go, which is billed as a tool that will take you the same places as WebWorks.

When we went into Help production, we examined both RoboHelp and ForeHelp and concluded that ForeHelp was a better fit for our workflow since we also used FrameMaker as our primary authoring tool.

Scott

Raj clarified his situation as:

* Platform: Windows 2000
* Budget: I'm told there isn't really one..
* Product still under development.. will be a Java web based product
* No source control in place for documentation so far..
* I'm the only doc person in the company
* The only reviews are done by my manager (who is also the IT manager)

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/