RE: Job Market: More Openings for Marcom than Tech-Writing?

Subject: RE: Job Market: More Openings for Marcom than Tech-Writing?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:02:45 -0400

Bruce,

Would that it were so! Over the past 17 years, I've been laid off four
times from marcomm jobs, and once from tech comm. Mar Comm is looked at
with even more disdain than tech comm, at least in the U.S. mid-Atlantic.
In general, if you're a wordsmith, you're expendable.

However, I am seeing a trend towards incorporating both in a single
communications position-which makes me a bit of trend setter, since I've
spent about the same amount of time in each niche. Wow, who'duv thunk it?

Those that are considering a move, the methodologies are more similar than
might first appear, however, the mindset tends to be VERY different. You
must know your product, and your audiences, and craft the messages
accordingly. However, to be really successful in marcom, you need to be
more mercenary than is generally true in tech com.

MTC

Connie Giordano
MarCom/TechCom battle veteran