RE: Job Market: More Openings for Marcom than Tech-Writing?

Subject: RE: Job Market: More Openings for Marcom than Tech-Writing?
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:50:36 -0500

I remember a job where I did both and more. One very important thing to
remember is to stop completely anything you are doing when someone hands you
a printer's proof to approve. Go someplace quiet. Put everything out of your
mind. Then, and only then look at the proof.

If you are busy, let it sit. Don't sign the proof off until you are certain
that your mind is up to the job of looking at something you've seen a
thousand times. This time will be one thousand and one. And, the probability
of an error is still astronomical. The probability of finding the mistake is
low due to familiarity.

I had a printer lose version control when a graphics artist did not deliver
printer ready work. And, after numerous reviews, I signed off on a proof
when I was in the middle of something. The proof was more important. The
mistake was costly both in terms of money and career.

Marcom presents you with a lot of little jobs. Each one is public. Each one
is a big deal. Each one can be expensive to fix later.

Stop. Focus. Live long and prosper.

David

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/