Re: A step up, a step down

Subject: Re: A step up, a step down
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:02:26 -0700

david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com wrote:

> I've just run into too much egotism, which seems to be the norm here in
> Austin. It wasn't in Houston.

I don't think it's due to location so much as to people. In my experience,
developers who are egotistical are either very young and eager to be accepted by
other developers by putting down outsiders (in which case you can easily educate
them), inferior programmers, or unhappy in their work.

Nor, to be fair, is egotism confined to developers. I've also encountered
tech-writers - often self-appointed "leaders" in their local STC chapters - who
worry incessantly over job titles and have a chip on their shoulders about their
tool-knowledge or writing ability, and seem proud that they don't know anything
technical.

Probably, like the developers, they're young, inferior, or unhappy, but they're
no more of a joy to be around simply because they do the same job as me. If
anything, they're more embarrassing than the developers - and more trouble,
because they can make life harder for me, if other people judge me by them. Why
can't everyone be as suave and devil-may-care as I am? <vbg>

I'm sorry to hear that you've had some unpleasant encounters, but, on the whole,
I find it easiest just to learn what the limits of people are, then work around
them. For example, the person whom I would vote The One I Want Around When I
Have My Heart Attack was a brilliant, talented person with a knack for getting
things done (which is why I'd nominate him; he'd make sure that there were no
delays getting me to hospital), but I never would have given him money if I
expected to see it again. Not that he was dishonest, you understand, but he
simply didn't care about money and wouldn't keep track of it. Otherwise, he was
an outstandingly trustworthy person.

Applying this to the job site, I try to remember that some people aren't going
to be friends, and aren't going to be much use to me in getting my job done.
Where they're useful, I'll interact with them, but, otherwise, I'll avoid them
and try not to be insulted by them. When I do start taking them seriously, I'll
go for a hard run or swim until I get a better perspective.

I find this attitude makes life much easier.

"Work and work, you won't get cold
Sleep in your boots. don't get old
Stand on your own feet, ready or not
It's friendly fire...but you still get shot."
-OysterBand, "On the Edge

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/