Re: CBT tools

Subject: Re: CBT tools
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:25:52 -0700

Heleen Los wrote:

> In addition to manuals and online help, the company I'm working for has now
> asked me to develop CBT (Computer Based Training). Hurray for me (I
> guess/hope :-)
> Who has any information about this? Where do I start, which tools are out
> there etc. My knowledge of CBT and CBT tools does not go beyond knowing what
> the acronym stands for. I've tried to look for info on the Internet, but all
> I come across are very technical CBT tools that require programming (yikes).

Heleen-

One of the incredible resources this list provides is the ability to search the
archives by keyword. Over time, we've probably discussed (sometimes to death)
probably every topic of any interest to a technical writer. And among the
topics has been variations on CBT.

Briefly, CBT covers a wide range of topics which can range from online help to
fairly fancy tutorials using Flash or other quasi-video tools. Probably your
first task is to decide from among the available tools which ones look like
something you can learn in a reasonable amount of time and which ones produce
output that will be appropriate for your customers (or the people who will be
using what you create). This is not a trivial task.

Once you and your management have decided these (and funded purchase of the
necessary tools), be prepared for some time to come up to speed on the tool of
choice. You can take classes in most of the well known CBT tools, but you can
also learn most of them on your own with the assistance of some good third party
books. However, be prepared to learn a version of programming for any of them -
scripting is common among most of them.

Happy hunting!

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems