RE: STC Competition Question

Subject: RE: STC Competition Question
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 14:26:49 -0400

John,

If I may, I disagree completely: PDFs are _really_ print and _really_
online. To say they are not ignores the reality of how this file type is
being used extensively to present information online, with hyperlinks, and
yet in a printable form. Even considering switching XSLs or CSSes in the
middle-of-things, can you tell me which other format meets the need that is
met by PDFs? PDF certainly does allow you to get a wide range of documents
online and lets millions take advantage of online media . . ..

Seriously, while I understand and could probably be persuaded to agree with
you that PDF might need a separate category--though there is fair room for
debate on that--I am completely surprised and a tad disappointed that a
veteran STC judge would consider PDFs to neither be *online* nor *print*.

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/