Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:21:35 -0400

I see the résumé-interview-hire process as courtship. Compatibility is the real issue, unless I'm broke and hungry and willing to put up with anything to relieve that condition.

Some companies have well regimented processes in which the work gets done by essentially fungible resources: if you are the same shape as the slot, you will fit. Don't make waves. Don't ask questions. Just do the job we put in front of you. Some people find that kind of employment secure and comforting. They don't have to think. They can go home at the end of the day and forget about work, using the money they earned to do what they really like doing.

Other companies (generally in different industries) operate on a different principle. They are communities of talented people working together to solve a problem. They don't have well defined slots to fill. Some people prefer that kind of employment. They enjoy the challenge of coming to work every day not knowing what will arise or what they will be doing when the day ends.

It seems to me that the "right" answer to whether or not you include hobbies on your résumé has to do with which situation you find more appealing. Elna isn't wrong. Hannah isn't wrong. Tom isn't wrong. The goal is to get the right people paired up with each other so there are fewer divorces, right?

Dick

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/