Re: The mighty T-Letter

Subject: Re: The mighty T-Letter
From: "Mark Moloney" <mmoloney -at- network365 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:00:40 +0100

From: "Kane, Beth" <Beth -dot- Kane -at- ncslearn -dot- com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 5:17 PM

Most people can handle RTF. I wouldn't send a company anything in plain text
unless they insisted on it.
<<<
As I told an off-list respondant, for an initial contact, I don't want to
make any assumptions. I want to make sure that the recipient can (and will)
read my email. Perhaps whoever is responsible will download your email to
his/her Palm Pilot to read it. In that case, you can't be sure that
attachments will be transferred or that the Palm Pilot is set up to open and
render it in a legible form in any case.

I was in contact with one agency very recently to whom I sent my résumé as a
PDF file; they requested it as an MS Word file since they were unable to use
a PDF. The representative with whom I dealt didn't have Adobe Acrobat reader
on her work computer, and didn't have the user priviledges to install the
software, instead being limited to MS Office 97. So much for PDF being an
universal format! I swapped back to using the Word file as my default.

I currently send my résumé as a Word 2000 doc, attached to a plain-text
email - the body of the email is my traditional cover letter (but, I'm going
to try to make that a pseudo-t-letter).

What I want, then, is that particular holy grail: device-independent
formatting. Does it exist?

/ Mark Moloney (tired, and going home now)

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/