Re: Don't you love farce?

Subject: Re: Don't you love farce?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 10:09:14 -0700

quills -at- airmail -dot- net wrote:

I don't use newspeak in documents. I always try to follow the KISS formula (keep it simple, stupid). I try not to mix the last two word around, as I have found that the results, while sometime hilarious, are not the kind that promote your worthiness. Any verb that has mutated is suspect. Any suspect word should be edited out. Any thing edited out should be kept out unless compelling facts or need induce you to put it back.

My answer to the original question is simple: being trendy isn't one of my goals in writing, so I never use any of the newest coining. Simplicity and conciseness are, and a trendy vocabulary might conflict with these goals. In addition, simplicity and conciseness have the virtue of never seeming dated, while the whole point of much of the latest vocabulary is to show that you're fashionable. As a result, it quickly dates, and means more revisions.

Besides, a good deal of the latest vocabulary comes from the twentysomethings. No longer being quite in the first bloom of youth, I'd rather not sound like someone desperately trying to create an illusion of being young - or worse, someone trying and getting it wrong.

"I work for the pleasure of stopping,
I stop for the pleasure of beer."
-The Mollys, "The Lang Town"

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/