RE: Hobbies on a résumé (WAS: RE:New TECHWR-L Poll Question)

Subject: RE: Hobbies on a résumé (WAS: RE:New TECHWR-L Poll Question)
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:33:05 +0100

Jane may be right, it could be a cultural difference between the UK and the
US. My solution has been to include only those outside interests that are
somehow related, and call the whole section "Related Experience". Besides I
don't have room on my resume to talk about classic movies, fiction writing
and theatrical costume-making, and it usually isn't particularly relevant.

Thus, the development of marketing plans and materials for non-profits,
training volunteers on MS Office, and planning large, logistically
complicated events as a volunteer can be easily be related to a position
that I'd be applying for, shows initiative, and also shows acquisition of
skills that might not have happened on the job. I'm learning Flash now, not
for work, but for a volunteer group's project.

It's all in what you're applying for. If you're going to tailor a resume
for a position, tailor the whole thing! Sometimes they don't care,
sometimes they do.

MTC

Connie Giordano