RE: Printing multiple HTML pages at once?

Subject: RE: Printing multiple HTML pages at once?
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 11:41:09 -0500

Hi John,

I totally agree- the users' needs should drive the process. If they
have a legitimate need for print, then I'd darn well better provide
an option for printing.

My only problem with this is that what they need (usable printed
docs) and what is offered (a print version of the HTML) are not
always the same. I always try to make the case for taking the time/
effort to appropriately format the print versions of docs that
originate as HTML, and vise versa. I don't always get my way, of
course; cost, schedule, and other considerations often come into
play.

I guess if you don't have and can't get the time or resources to
offer a version specifically formatted for print that a printed
version of the HTML is an acceptable option. Just as a quick-and-
dirty HTML version of the printed docs is acceptable, in the
sense that it's better than nothing. But I always push for the
optimal solution - custom work for each format.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write. I think we're
actually pretty close in our opinion on this - I just have the
luxury of more time and resources. Usually. :)

Dan