RE: Hobbies on a résumé (one blow to the dead horse - never mind, the horse appears to still be kicking)

Subject: RE: Hobbies on a résumé (one blow to the dead horse - never mind, the horse appears to still be kicking)
From: "Ward, Curtis (DST-CLT)" <curtis_ward -at- dstinteractive -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:37:02 -0400

Perhaps because its a case of over-reaction, some of the criteria suggested
would still be illegal, and it doesn't REALLY prevent discrimination. It
could just as easily be a method of covering up such activity. Actually it
sounds sort of lazy to me. If a company's hiring practices are sound, its
not necessary to go to such draconian lengths for legal protection. Contrary
to some opinions, its pretty difficult to prove a discrimination case.

And as you pointed out, you're going to miss out on some excellent
candidates.

BTW -- isn't it entirely possible that the interviewer could notice that the
single father had only one leg during the interview?

>>Rob Domaschuk wrote:
>>...the option of throwing out a resume as soon as that type of
>>info appears sounds logical, even though you may miss out on a really
good
>>employee.
>>
>>BUT... something is nagging me about this and I can't figure out what
>>bothers me about it. Insights anyone?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Curtis Ward
DST Interactive
curtis_ward -at- dstinteractive -dot- com

"A computer lets you make more
mistakes faster than any invention
in human history--with the possible
exceptions of handguns and tequila."