Re: Hobbies on Resumes for New Graduates

Subject: Re: Hobbies on Resumes for New Graduates
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 15:09:36 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- swva -dot- net> wrote:
> This conversation about hobbies on resumes is oddly appropriate - I'm
> spending the day commenting on my students' resumes and cover letters (I
> can read and respond to 30 of these by 5 without shooting myself, right?).
>
> Anyway, my question deals with the difference between a resume from an
> experienced person, who should have enough to say w/o hobbies, and a
> college senior who may not have much experience at all. In the latter case,
> hobbies may be "padding," but that may be the only way the student can fill
> out his or her resume. Do you view a list of hobbies differently in this
> case?
>
> I suspect the same caveats already mentioned apply - list hobbies that
> reflect important skills or qualities. But beyond not listing "Chairman of
> the Fraternity Beer Committee" and "Streaking naked through campus," what
> would you recommend to students with little job-related experience (even
> when we count volunteering) . Some of them are really stretching for a
> page. BTW, we already do stress the need to get experience and do
> *something* besides coursework and barhopping, but not all of them do/can.

(Have I no shame? <g>) Apparently not.

Your students might really benefit by using a T-Letter.
(http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/tletter.html) Or at least use that approach
in a cover letter. Inexperienced people need to focus on showing a prospective
employer that they just might be able to do the job. In looking for someone to
fill an entry-level position, which is what we're talking about here, I would
want to see a good job history regardless of the job, some aptitude for the job
being offered, and some desire for that kind of work. If they use hobbies in
this case--and it makes more sense--tell prospective employers how the hobby
relates to the job/employer in question. In other words, what do YOU think the
benefit of telling me about a hobby will be to ME.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems
Columbus, Ohio
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/
Page Last Updated 07/15/01

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/