RE: Resume: Educational relevance in light of actual experience?

Subject: RE: Resume: Educational relevance in light of actual experience?
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 13:06:22 -0500

Why jump through their hoops? It looked like a great job (this was, of
course, pre-Dot Bomb Implosion but only by a few months), and the one I had
at the time was horrible. The pay at my old was lousy, the working
conditions were lousy and a new company head that looked like Strom
Thurmond's older brother was intentionally making them worse, and I have
serious moral issues with a project that was upcoming (missiles).

Compared to that, an IT company with all the excessive fringe benefits (plus
a really good package of regular bennies) looked well worth the effort. Of
course, now I'm glad it didn't work out (the req was cancelled right after I
was unofficially told they had picked me).

Anyway, it was actually in my best interests that they did want to look at
SATs because mine was high enough for me to be a merit scholar and get into
Mensa without taking their entrance exam (my GRE was even better). It
probably gave me an advantage over some of the other applicants. I guess
the entire issue of how offended you get being asked for test scores and
grades is probably inversely proportional to how good the scores were.