Re: Style + Outline level: Level 1

Subject: Re: Style + Outline level: Level 1
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:38:00 -0600

Scott said

> I would venture that Style x is linked in numbering to a level, thus
> providing an outline level for the paragraph style. The Style x could
> at one time have been linked. It might have gone away, but the level
> 1 stayed connected.

I think Scott is right. Word (97 and later versions) allows you to
attribute "levels" to specific styles, which are used for viewing in
Outline mode. In the past, these outline levels were linked just to
heading levels, but now you can link them to ANY style.

You're probably working in a document template that had linked that style
to level one. Since Frame does not (to my knowledge) have a similar
function as Word's Outline view, you can ignore that aspect of the style,
and use the attributes of "style x" as your model.

Also, it sounds like you might be beating yourself up unnecessarily on
this project. In many cases, matching the fonts, point size, and margins
of each style will be enough to replicate your Word doc in a Frame doc.
The line spacing you can probably just eyeball. Many of the more advanced
features are not really mirrored in both tools. But I guess it depends on
how anal your boss is being....

Good luck - hope this helps.

- Keith Cronin

"I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write
faster than anybody who can write better."

- A.J. Liebling (1904-1963)

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe.
Attend the entire event, select a single day, or sign up for
a Saturday postconference workshop. http://ieeepcs.org/2001