Re: storage of documents

Subject: Re: storage of documents
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:29:18 -0400

Mike (m w <midwest_technical -at- yahoo -dot- com>) wrote:

>Where do you keep your paper documents once they have
>been signed-off on? Do you keep them in a file at
>your desk? If not, what location do you keep your
>paper docs in?

When I worked for a medical device manufacturer, where the FDA required that we implement an ISO 9001-like quality system, signed paper was kept in a locked file, organized by document number, active versions in one cabinet, obsolete versions and meeting markups archived in additional cabinets.

>How many of you use a standard locked file cabinet, or
>a reinforced lock outside of the cabinet?

We used standard locking file cabinets. However, the building was guarded 24 hours a day and security badges were required at all times. So there was some additional level of security.

>What sort of procedure do you use for the signing out
>of documents?

Paper form. Date and time checked out, document number, title (redundant to the doc number, of course, but there for verification), borrower's name, signature, date and time checked in.

>For those of you who store documents electronically,
>which method works best for you? Do you use any sort
>of version control?

There was ONE official repository for documents, maintained by a small team (mine) that had write access to it. Engineers could read only the current (active) version. All prior versions were stored in an archive folder below the doc number. If someone needed to revise a doc, they sent an email to the doc admin requesting a checkout, which was then recorded in the index (to avoid parallel checkouts). When they submitted the revision electronically, it sat in a holding area until they delivered the signed paper. Then the doc admin verified that all the i's were dotted, etc., and if everything was okay moved the revision into the active folder, pushed the previous version down to the archive folder, made the appropriate index entry, and filed the paper. Otherwise the admin kicked the revision back for any needed corrections (signatures, for example).

>Thanks for your input.
>
>Mike

You're welcome, Mike.

Dick

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe.
Attend the entire event, select a single day, or sign up for
a Saturday postconference workshop. http://ieeepcs.org/2001