Re: Self employed writing

Subject: Re: Self employed writing
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:42:12 -0400

At 10:24 AM 15/10/2001 -0500, Cameron Consulting wrote:

Just a question...
I am a self-employed tech writer and wondering if any of you are as well.

Yes, indeed, although I'm more of a multimedia developer these days. I went straight from full-time engineering into freelance technical writing.

When you say "self-employed", though, that covers a range of opportunities. Some of us are independent contractors -- we look for longer-term contracts with one company after another, but we contract directly to the clients. Some of us do long-term contracts through agencies; the agencies may or may not treat us as employees. Some take only short-term contracts, again either through agencies or directly to the clients. And some of us own our own companies.

The most significant difference is in the way we're treated by Revenue Canada (or the IRS) at the end of the tax year.

So, Traci, why do you ask?

Win

Win Day
Multimedia Developer

http://www.creativeimplementations.com
mailto:winday -at- creativeimplementations -dot- com

New Mexico: attend the entire event or select a single day. For details and online registration, visit http://ieeepcs.org/2001