Re: Reading and Editing

Subject: Re: Reading and Editing
From: technical -at- theverbalist -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 9:34:4

> When reading text (it doesn't matter if the text is a novel, newspaper
> article, user's manual, what-have-ya) I "hear" a narrator reading the words.
> When I read a Tom Clancy novel, each of the characters have a different
> voice and the third-person arrogation is a more-or-less monotone newscaster
> voice. This has been going on since I stared reading, around age 4ish. I
> guess I always knew this was going on, but I just "realized" it after
> talking to another who shares the experience.
> Do any of ya'll have that going on?

As it happens, the purpose of subvocalization in experience readers was the
topic of my mother doctoral thesis--so of course I e-mailed her to get some
expert scoop on the topic. She wrote me a three page summary of her
findings, which I'd be happy to forward to anyone who'd like to read it.
I'm also collecting the continuing discussion for her (I think she'll find
Geoff Hart's question on subvocalization and document usability, and Al
Rubottom's pedantic chapeau particularly interesting) and so I may post
more on Mum's behalf.

And by the way, as you're reading this, I hope you're hearing my plush,
plum-jammy tones--somewhere between Helen Mirren and Jessica Rabbit.

Verbally,
Mandt