A PDF solution in search of all the people who have asked

Subject: A PDF solution in search of all the people who have asked
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:39:52 -0400

Someone had written me off-list complaining that using PDFWriter from Word (or anywhere else) results in a PDF file in which Web links are not preserved. The standard solution, of course, is to use PDFMaker rather than PDFWriter, but this fellow's problem is that he was on a Mac, and PDFMaker is not implemented on that platform.

Well, he went away and did his own research and discovered that Acrobat has a tool made to help (one I had never heard mentioned anywhere--perhaps you hadn't either). He asked that I pass on his discovery (note that this does nothing for TOC links, AFAIK):

From: tyh -at- att -dot- net
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:33:21 -0700

Thanks for attempting to answer my inquiry. After further research and
trials with the Acrobat v4.05a program I discovered a very "simple"
solution to my problem. I first convert the file as normal from WORD
'98 on the Macintosh by printing the file to PDFWriter. I then open the
PDF file with Acrobat. The hypertext links from Word are shown in blue
(the same as they were in WORD before conversion), but none of them are
clickable. I then go to the Tools menu down to Weblinks & select
Create. Acrobat then automatically finds all potential links, in every
page of the document, and converts them all to clickable links. It
works perfect! Please retain my solution to share with others if
required. All the best...

John Franks
tyh -at- att -dot- net