Re:RE: Need Help with Word

Subject: Re:RE: Need Help with Word
From: SANDRA_DEQUESADA -at- udlp -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:49:24 -0500

Thanks to all who tried to help. I finally did the time-tested, usually-works
solution after avoiding it, but figured that the one note I received suggesting
it was the ONLY solution I had not tried before writing the list, and was
probably the right one. I deleted the T of C and list of tables and figures,
copied the whole document to a new one, and then re-inserted the T of C and
lists. Voila! The box disappeared when opening the doc and when printing it.

I admit the box is a nice feature - IF you are creating or editing a doc. It's
annoying if you only want to open the doc to read it or print it and haven't
touched it otherwise, so have no need to update any numbers at all. For awhile I
had paranoid thoughts that it was Clippy haunting me in a mutated form.

Thanks for the input!
Sandy

Subject: RE: Need Help with Word
Author: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
Date: 10/18/2001 12:53 PM

[snip]
I haven't figured out how to turn it off either, but to be honest I don't
find it that intrusive. It does guarantee that you'll see page breaks (and
therefore page numbering for the ToC) where your current default printer
would place them. If you don't update that field, even with just the page
numbers, the numbering might not match what you see as you scroll through
the document.

Win