RE: Reading and Editing

Subject: RE: Reading and Editing
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:32:10 -0400

Meg and Brian,

I caution against inducing conclusions from your anecdotal experiences. I subvocalize all the time, and I've always been an excellent speller. Spelling ability is completely independent of reading ability, reading style, intelligence (I think we can all agree that Andrew Plato and John Posada are both very intelligent and lousy spellers, for example), mathematical ability, or anything else. Some people are genetically programmed to become good spellers; others aren't (Meg, you have a workaround that does the trick for you--that's great!). Let it go.

The tie-in to tech writing? If you know you spell well, use a spell checker to catch typos. If you know you don't spell well, use a spell checker _carefully_ alongside a real dictionary to catch actual errors. Minor typos will be forgiven by most readers more readily than there/their-type errors.

Dick