RE: The saga continues....Acrobat/Word

Subject: RE: The saga continues....Acrobat/Word
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:44:30 -0700

I have a few ideas, having recently gone through upgrade pains moving to
Acrobat 5 on Win2K.

First question: What versions are you using? If you're on Windows 2000,
Acrobat is very picky.

Acrobat 4.0 doesn't work correctly at all--you must upgrade to 4.05c.

Acrobat 5.0, for me, appeared to install fine, and solved several issues I
had with 4: headings in tables now turned into bookmarks instead of going
into an endless loop, a weird display problem I had that inverted graphics
went away, and Acrobat cleaned itself up after loading in a browser, instead
of sucking up more and more memory until I had to kill it...

PDFMaker worked fine. But whenever I tried to print to the Distiller
Printer, I got an error.

What appears to be working, for the moment, was to use the Add Printer
Wizard to install a new printer, using a PDF port that points to a new
directory with appropriate write permissions, and using the Generic/MS
Publisher print driver. After installing the printer, I changed the driver
in the printer properties to use the AdobePS Distiller driver. As long as
this printer is not named "Acrobat Distiller", it creates PDFs just fine,
though they end up in the target directory with no fanfare, and won't open
in Acrobat by themselves, regardless of the settings. You have to go find
it...

PDFMaker chokes if I remove the printer named "Acrobat Distiller". So I now
have two different Distiller printers: one for PDFMaker, and one for
everything else.

Anybody else have this problem?

Cheers,
John Locke