Word Trick: Detecting Hidden Graphics and Revealing Graphics Fil e Sizes

Subject: Word Trick: Detecting Hidden Graphics and Revealing Graphics Fil e Sizes
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:14:44 -0400

I discovered a cool Word trick for detecting hidden graphics and discovering
exactly how big the source graphics files are. It should apply to Word 97
and up (I use Word 2000 here).

If your document has become inexplicably large or unstable, reveal all of
the regular graphics by saving to HTML (File --> Save as --> select a file
type of HTML). This will extract the graphics and save them in a subfolder,
with filenames like "image005" (incrementing from 001 to the number of
graphics you have).

>From what I've seen, Word extracts GIF, JPG and PNG files. If the original
files were in these formats, the extracted files will be the same as the
originals. So, if you've rescaled or cropped an image in Word, these
actions don't affect the extracted files. Word also creates graphics out of
text boxes and the like.

Poof, an instant solution for clipping a common graphics files out of a Word
source.

Note that this doesn't convert things like embedded CorelDRAW or Visio
objects. I use objects like these in my documents, and I think they *do*
get extracted, but as Windows Media Player Skins (WMZ files). I haven't
been able to open them successfully, so I could be totally off-base.

(The Save as HTML trick has been posted before, but I thought I'd flesh out
a couple more applications that I've found.)

Cheers ... Kim
mailto:kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com

Serving the documentally challenged. Super-Size your order for only 39
cents extra.