RE: Simple symbol question

Subject: RE: Simple symbol question
From: "Hannah Bissell" <to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:11:02 -0400

mike starr said:
<snip>
> these [ ] are called brackets (not "square brackets)
> these { } are called braces (not "curly brackets")
> these ( ) are called parentheses
> this < is called a "less than" symbol (not an "angle bracket")
> this > is called a "greater than" symbol (not an "angle bracket")
>
> As far as I'm concerned, if they "call" them something else in
> Australia, I
> don't care. I'll call them what they're called in my dictionary. I try my
> best to avoid using "greater than" and "less than" symbols as substitutes
> for parentheses, brackets or braces. I'm not averse to using them as
> command delimiters <see below>.

<snip>

the original poster asked for non-mathematical references. greater than/less
than is correct in mathematical context but not the context the poster was
looking for. my dictionary also lists them as angle brackets (for
non-mathematical context) so it should still work along your guidelines.

i, too, just avoid using them and use parenthesis, brackets, and braces.
sometimes, though, we are not given choices. in those times, it's correct to
still use angle brackets when describing them.

hannah bissell
to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net