Re: Layoffs-puzzling question

Subject: Re: Layoffs-puzzling question
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:40:18 -0400

Erika Yanovich wrote:

> I've been reading all these postings about layoffs and I am amazed about the
> cruelty of some employers. I believe here in Israel we have less cruel
> stories, although lately some layoffs resemble the US ones. The puzzling
> question is how come employers who trusted their employees for x number of
> years relate to them suddenly as potential troublemakers and not allow them
> to access their computers anymore or even say goodbye to their collegues. I
> understand that some people could delete files or do other damages, but I
> think these cases are so rare that they really do not warrant treating
> everyone badly. Am I right?

Most people are decent and honest, but we still have cops. We screen air
travelers a lot closer, now. Sadly, there have enough cases of sabotage
by laid-off/fired employees to make this a wise precaution. It happened
to a friend of mine. A fired person trashed the system.

--
Peter
Mailto:peternew -at- optonline -dot- net

Adapting old programs to fit new machines
usually means adapting new machines to
behave like old ones.