RE: Word 2000 to .pdf

Subject: RE: Word 2000 to .pdf
From: "Cekis, Margaret" <Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:02:42 -0400

Miriam McGinty-Lowe [mailto:Miriam_McGinty-Lowe -at- MDSUK -dot- COM] asked about Word
2000 saving to .pdf format (i.e. without linking to Acrobat).

Darren Barefoot [mailto:Darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com] replied that

"that is absolute rubbish. In terms of proof, a search of the Word
2000 help system indicates that there are no occurrences of "PDF" or
"Acrobat" in it. While not infallible (it might be an infamous "undocumented
feature"), that's a decent bit of evidence. DB."

I would ask the author who thinks it is possible where he used it before. He
may have used a system where this was the case.

If you install a full copy of Acrobat (not just the reader), I believe that
it checks your system and asks you if you want an acrobat shortcut on your
Word or Word Perfect toolbar. It may also do it for whatever other apps it
has plug-ins for. Once that is done, you can go to pdfs from Word or
whatever. If Acrobat is not on your system, you cannot link to what is not
there. This also works if there is a copy of acrobat on the network. At a
previous employer, all the writers' systems were set up this way, with
shortcuts to network copy of Acrobat that we all used when we completed a
project, but no one needed it all the time.

Margaret Cekis
Margaret -at- mediaocean
Atlanta GA