Re: Secretary Proofing Manuals?

Subject: Re: Secretary Proofing Manuals?
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:34:52 -0500

>>> <TDean -at- envirosys -dot- com> 10/24/01 03:16PM >>>

<< The manuals have to have her final approval before they go out the door.
She will mark up copies, check for typos, and check consistency for an
already-agreed-upon style (of which a style guide is in the making, hence
the style meetings). >>

In that case, I would (if I were in your shoes) consider her a valuable member of my team, not an interloper. :-) As long as she's a good proofreader, that is.

<< I feel like this should be a technical writing/publications manager's
responsibility - not an administrative assistant. >>

Oh, I don't know. I think a manager's time should be spent on management tasks, not proofreading tasks.

<< Does anyone out there get frustrated in not having control and authority over their product? >>

Maybe I don't have a good grasp of the situation, because it doesn't seem to me that you're losing control or authority. If she's only looking for typos and consistency with the style guide, she's not forcing you to make any changes that you wouldn't otherwise make. It doesn't sound like she's making editorial decisions, just helping enforce the ones that have already been made. Am I mistaken?

~~~~~
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc