RE: Depicting Spaces

Subject: RE: Depicting Spaces
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <SGallagher -at- akonix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:15:18 -0700

Well, obviously underscores won't do. Not only could they be
mistaken for real underscores, but they all merge together so
they're impossible to count.

Back in the old days -- wazzit when I was studying COBOL??? --
we used a b with a slash through it to indicate a space. And
in many fonts, blank character positions are indicated by
empty square boxes. I'd pick a character that you're sure
will not appear anywhere else in the docs -- a square wingding
or a circle and slash -- and call that a blank space. They'll
be easy to count and not easily confused. Depending on your
layout, you could footnote or otherwise reference some sort of
legend material.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- akonix -dot- com