FW: Tracking Code Changes

Subject: FW: Tracking Code Changes
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:28:28 -0600

I use the What's This Help Compiler (WTHC) in RoboHelp for this purpose. Initially, it creates a list of all the UI components in an executable and its associated dlls. Then, each time you reinstall the application, it generates a list of changes. It is not a complete solution, because dlls might get added, or UI components might get moved from one dll to another. These things you will have to be told.

The only other problem is that the UI in the application is a composite of UI components. A frame holds a panel. The frame provides the help button, so ordinarily, that help button presents the context ID of the frame to the help system when it should provide the context ID of the panel. This takes some programming, but my programmers do it with no problem. Another problem is reuse. Panels get reused without regard to the specific use case being implemented.

The WTHC is not a complete solution, but it is close.

The developers I work for now are responsible for the readme. In it they list all new features, bug fixes, and bugs. This is built into the product and the development process. Still, they don't tell me when they change list items and stuff like that.

David