RE: Technical Writing Union

Subject: RE: Technical Writing Union
From: Diane Evans <DianeE -at- LOCKSTREAM -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:39:46 -0800

> Darren states, "As I understand it, most unions are formed because workers
> are being abused, wronged or otherwise maltreated. I hardly think that
> technical writers in general fall into this category."
>
> Sara asks, "Is it fair to arrive in on Monday morning to be told that you
no
> longer have a job and that you must leave the building immediately with no
> redundancy package?"

Anyone who has ever worked for a consulting agency or dot-com (or
both)knows that the employees are not treated fairly and are frequently
abuses. Salaries are paid on the basis of whoever is the best negotiator.
Raises are given likewise. Layoffs are decided based on a manager's whims.
Benefit packages may suddenly disappear or be modified. Hours can be long
when a deadline approaches. Overtime pay may be nonexistent.

Unions have brought many changes to our world...40 hour/5 day weeks,
everyone paid somewhat equally for the same job, medical benefits,
retirement benefits, and much more. The world is rapidly changing, and
unions need to change to meet the new demands of workers.

I have a long tradion of union activism in my family. My step-father was a
young teenager working on the docks during the "Wobbly Massacres" (Workers
of the World -- precursor to the Longshoremen). My grandfather was killed
at work, doing a job that would have been illegal today. My father was 3
months old at the time, and robbed of his father by uncaring pre-union
bosses.

I do belong to a union...www.washtech.org.

Diane Evans
Information Developer
Lockstream, Inc.
425-709-6840 x 230

Ask for the moon, and settle for its reflection in the pond in your back
yard.