Re: Technical Writing Union

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Union
From: "Steve Arrants" <stephena -at- compbear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:58:39 -0800

From: "Ehr, Meg" <Meg -dot- Ehr -at- smartworks -dot- com> asks
> To Diane, and any others who belong to TW unions, what benefits does your
> union bring to you? I certainly agree that unions as a whole have done
many
> good things over the years (as well as many not-so-good things), but what
> can/does your specific union do for you as a tech writer, particularly if
> you're an FTE rather than a contractor?

My involvement is with the NWU, and it is limited. The benefits I've
received when I was contracting included reduced cost health insurance,
legal assistance when negotiating contracts (nothing major -- I just needed
help in writing one, and some negotiating tips), and access to a restricted
job board.

I'm not sure that a union makes sense for FTE. The work environments are
quite different from industrial or retail sites where unions started and
predominate. When unions first formed in the US, there were very real,
dangerous problems within the workplace that couldn't be solved by the "If
you don't like it, leave" approach. As bad as our jobs are sometimes, it
isn't even remotely close to that of mineworkers in the 1920s.

steve arrants
http://www.compbear.com Certified Cruelty Free
"The dream was marvelous, but the terror was great.
We must treasure the dream, whatever the terror."
---Gilgamesh