RE: Technical Writing Union

Subject: RE: Technical Writing Union
From: "Pete Sanborn" <psanborn2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 19:10:46 -0500

Here's a thought about unions and such - if you don't like the work, the
working conditions and/or the pay, go find another job. If enough tech
writers vote with their feet, sooner or later, a lousy employer gets the
hint and improves whatever is deficient or he never gets his documentation
completed so he never gets to ship his product(s) to market. If he can't
ship, he can't sell, if he can't sell, he can't stay in business.

That's the simple law of supply and demand that unions don't want you to
know. Granted, things are tough for all of us right now, but the basic rule
still applies - if you don't like the work, the pay and/or the working
conditions, go elsewhere. That isn't the only job in town and you don't have
to work there.

Isn't freedom wonderful?

Regards,
Pete Sanborn

From: Bruce Byfield [mailto:bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com]

I think it has more to do with people who have had little contact with
unions, view themselves as professionals, have a pro-business attitude, or
all three.