Re: Block me Amadeus

Subject: Re: Block me Amadeus
From: Paul Sinasohn <sinasohn -at- sendmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:30:00 -0800

Well.....

Since sendmail, my employer, also markets a 'content filter', I actually
have a more-than-passing interest in Andrew's note.

There are many reasons for using them on outgoing messages, but this is
the first I've heard of using them on incoming messages.

And the story:

When Scopus was bought by Siebel, Siebel instituted a content filter
disallowing any outgoing message with the word 'resume' (as in job
qualifications) from leaving the company - they didn't want the entire
Scopus staff bolting. (It happened anyway, of course).

What they forgot, of course, was that the Siebel support contract
renewal messages which went out every day warned customers that "support
will cease if the contract is not renewed, and will only resume when a
new contract has been paid in full" resume - as in start up again.

Not a single customer got their reneal message that year.

And Tom couldn't even fire the IT person who put the filter in place
because it was on his own orders. All of us Scopoids had a great big
laugh over that one...

--
******REMOVE NOSPAM FROM REPLY ADDRESS ABOVE******
Paul E. Sinasohn 510-594-5571