Re: Technical Writing Union

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Union
From: Iggy <iggy_1996dp -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 06:24:16 -0800 (PST)

> First of all, it's an argument for prosperous times,
> when jobs are
> easily available. The last few years have been
> extremely propserous in
> high-tech, which is probably one reason why unions
> don't have a foothold
> in high-tech. However, it's when times are harder
> that you need more
> protection than one person can provide. If
> times don't improve again, I suspect that unionism
> may get a grip in
> high-tech.

I don't think a union is in order just because the
tech market isn't doing so hot. I think that's a quick
rush to a poor solution. If you join a union during
rough times, what happens when times get better and
you are free to be your normal ambitious, risk-taking
self? You've screwed yourself. You are then held back
by the bylaws of the union, and should you leave the
union, good luck getting a job in any now unionized
company/tech writing department.

> Second, this approach is limited by the need for
> personal contact. You
> may have a good relation with your supervisor, and
> have proven our worth
> many times over. But what happens if that supervisor
> leaves, or if a
> decision is made by someone who doesn't know your
> virtues or understand
> them? The advantage of a union contract is that it
> sets out appropriate
> behavior, instead of relying on goodwill.

Maybe that's the focus of the problem. Are we out to
change the view of tech writing in general, or are we
out to further our own advancement. As much as I'd
like to make the tech writing world a better place,
I'm pushing for numero quatro - me. (Numeros uno, dos
and tres are my wife and kids.) But through my
actions, I can't help but think a better picture is
painted for tech writing in general. After all, they
see one good seed, and if that good seed mingles with
others and somehow influences others and they become
good seeds... well, pretty soon you'll have that
picturesque garden for tech writing.

> Third, no matter how friendly your bosses are - and,
> incidentally, I
> have always got on well with mine - their interests
> aren't yours. As an
> employee, your interests are a living wage,
> interesting work, and
> perhaps the chance for career advancement. Your
> supervisors have some of
> the same interests, but they are also interested in
> profit and the
> company's survival and growth. This difference means
> that, sometimes, no
> matter how much they like or value you, they're
> going to make decisions
> that aren't in your personal interest. Sometimes,
> they are right to do
> so, but, at other times, they are arbitary and
> unfair - and it's at
> these times that a union comes in useful.

I couldn't agree more. Which is why I think the way I
do. The same can be said about co-workers and so
forth. I just don't think a union will fix this. It
may pacify some of the more visible issues, but the
underlying ones will remain (and new ones will arise
with the establishment of a union). Plus a union may
destroy any potential for good relations between
writers and management.

http://personals.yahoo.com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp