Re: windows, dialog boxes, and property sheets

Subject: Re: windows, dialog boxes, and property sheets
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:38:29 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nancy Mignone" <n_mignone -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 12:20 PM
Subject: windows, dialog boxes, and property sheets

> I've read through the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications
> many times, but I still am not sure when something is a window, or when it
> is a dialog box.

If users must interact with it, it's a dialog box. If it just sits there
like a lox, it's a window.

> For example,
> On the Start menu, click Settings, then click Printers.
> In the Printers window (?), double-click the Add Printer icon.
> In the Add Printers Wizard dialog box (?), select Network printer server.

I would say:

1. Click Start > Settings > Printers. The Printers dialog box opens.
2. Double-click Add Printer. The Add Printers Wizard opens.
3. Select Network Printer Server.

Bonnie Granat - http://home.att.net/~bgranat
Technical Editor and Writer - 617-354-7084

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp