Re: Technical Writers Union

Subject: Re: Technical Writers Union
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 13:02:38 -0800

Pete Sanborn wrote:

>Bruce Byfield wrote:
>"By the same argument, I suppose, you wouldn't use a lawyer in a court
>case."
>
>Apples and oranges comparison, Bruce. If you don't know the difference, you
>won't understand my arguments.

Not at all. Just as a lawyer knows more about the law than the average person, a good shop steward knows the procedures for a grievance, the parts of the collective agreement that might help you, and the management that you're dealing with and what might persuade them. A shop steward may even know a good deal about labor law, and have more polished negotiation skills. All of this is expertise that nobody is likely to have unless they are dealing with such matters on a daily basis. In this sense, a steward knows much about your job - or, at least, your working conditions - than you do.

If you have a problem with your employer, you would be extremely foolish to forego this expertise in the belief that you could do better by yourself. You might just possibly be able to, if you're an unusually gifted person, and have kept yourself informed about such matters. However, the odds would be as much against you as if you represented yourself in court.

>Benefits!? I haven't seen any benefits from any union that would benefit
>me.
Your wages, working condition, and contract with the employer are all benefits that come from the union. So is its support if you have a grievance.

>Strikes and unions are terms that go together. If you are in a union that has no power to strike, what are the benefits?

Exactly. That's why it isn't silly to stage a wildcat strike to obtain that right.

>Bruce, there is no security for me but me. I provide my own security or the
>lack thereof. No organization, union or company has or will ever be able to
>do that for any of us.

I'm not sure what you mean here, but you seem to be suggesting that your conduct on the job is the sole determinant of whether you keep it. If that is what you mean, all I can really do is wish you good luck.

"What will I say when my children ask me,
'Where were you flying on that day?'
With trembling voice, I gave the order
To the bombardier of Enola Gay."
-Utah Phillips, "Enola Gay"

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp