RE: Strange Interview Practices?

Subject: RE: Strange Interview Practices?
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:15:37 -0000

> Upon finding out, I
>would have remained poised and dignified stating that
>I had not realized there would be other candidates
>being interviewed at the same time, that I understood
>I would have x amount of time with each interviewer,
>and would have their undivided attention during this
>process (as they would mine). I would have added that
>having other candidates in the room was very
>unprofessional in my opinion, as interviews should be
>kept confidential. If they did not agree, I would have
>left copies of my resume and card with the HR people
>with a kind remark to please contact me when they are
>ready to conduct a proper interview.

Hmmmm... while agreeing with everything you say, I would have gone through
the interview without mentioning my opinion of their process. (I'd have
mentioned that, politely, at the follow-up phone call afterwards. "Thanks
for asking me to your interview. While your interview process was...
interesting, I did find the prescence of other candidates a little
distracting. Can I ask why you use this process? What added value do you
find it provides?" in a really interested tone of voice. After all, it might
be an experimental technique they were trying out, and they could be happy
to admit that it was an arrant failure and they'll never, ever do it
again...)

Of course, I might decide I didn't want the job after having seen how they
interview people, but that's always a possibility, no matter what the
interview process. But unless you really, really don't want to work for
these people (in which case, why did you show up at the interview?) telling
them that you think they're unprofessional is a tad counterproductive.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp