Re: Strange Interview Practices?

Subject: Re: Strange Interview Practices?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:33:57 -0800 (PST)

"Iggy" said...

> Given the scenario of not knowing ahead of time, it
> could have seemed like a great company on paper, which
> is why I would have shown up. Telling them their
> interview practices - not them - are unprofessional is
> not counterproductive, in my opinion. Rather it is
> extremely productive. It brings my position on their
> interviewing practices out at the onset and
> illustrates that I have no interest in jumping through
> hoops for a job. If they want to interview me in a
> manner that is professional, confidential, and
> deserving of my time (not just theirs), then they can
> opt to do so. Failure on thier part to comply proves
> that this is not a company at which I would be happy
> working.

If you don't like an interview, shake their hand, walk out the door, and
if they call you back, say "No thank you, I have found work elsewhere."
Then hang up and move on with your life.

Unsolicited criticism is not only one of the most unprofessional things
you can do, it makes you look like an arrogant ass.

I agree that team interviews are lame, but it is neither your place or
right to walk into an interview and criticize their procedures. To each
his own. If you don't like the interview, walk out and forget it. You will
do nobody any good trying to lecture them on the "proper way."

> It's not, and that's not my point. You should be told
> ahead of time what to expect from an interview,
> period.

No you shouldn't. Few, if any company's will or should tell you what to
expect in an interview. One of the goals of any decent interview is to see
how people hold up under pressure. When you go take a test is college, the
professor doesn't give you the questions a week before (unless its a lame
class.)

I require candidates to take a test. Its a grueling technology test that
to date, only about 5 people (out of 100 or more) have been able to answer
90% or more of the questions properly. I give the test for many reasons.
One reason is to see how people deal with confusion. A good employee will
take a test like this as a challenge, and try to reason out answers. I
like that. It shows initiative, dedication, and intelligence.

An arrogant prick - which I have had my fair share of - will say "I am not
taking this test." Then I say "Its a requirement for employment." If he
asks why, I say, "to assess your technical skills." If he still refuses
(and some that have) I show him the door and say "have a nice day, your
interview is over." Then we laugh about the guy and call him names after
he has left. I don't need jerks like that working at my firm.

> Their interview practices reflect their work
> environment to some degree, either directly or
> indirectly.

The inverse of this is well as true. People who make a fuss and act like
babies in interviews demonstrate their work ethic: they don't like change
or challenge. They want comfort and unearned respect. You don't get these
things until you have proven yourself. If you are unwilling to prove
yourself - then why should any organization hire you. Why should they take
a chance on you when you won't leave your comfort zone for them.

I don't care if you can bend space-time with your breath, you don't walk
into an interview with a arrogant attitude of "I know better." Its
disrespectful, unprofessional, and extremely childish.

> Surprises and lies don't sit well with me.

> Exactly! If something happens that I don't like, I
> show them that "Homey don't play dat". I tell them
> what I would be willing to do. If they accept, good.
> If they decline, it's their loss.

I don't really think it is their loss. In my experience, people with this
attitude are by and large the least competent people you can hire. They
obviously have some chip on their shoulder that tells them comfort and
safety is more important than challenge and excellence. They usually will
bitch and complain everytime something changes, they have no tolerance for
pressure, and they think a company should serve their every needs.

I sincerely hope nobody here on TECHWR-L heeds the advice you have
offered, Iggy. It is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

Andrew Plato

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp